June 19, 2013

Wedding Wednesday: Guangzhou's Wedding Street



Here is a post I know a lot of you have been waiting for: the wedding street in Guangzhou. Ever since I first talked about the hidden gem, I've received many comments, emails and facebook messages asking for more information. This is indeed precious info, as the majority of the most renowned wedding gown brands produce their dresses in China, so here you're bound to find real beauties with prices slashed by more than a half from what they would cost in Europe.

Even though its name is Wedding Street, the truth is this is far more than a street. It's a whole area, with several streets and shopping malls, all of them exclusively selling wedding gowns. You'll find some small shops selling bridal accessories, too, like wedding shoes, accessories, fabric flowers or clothes for the flower girls/boys.
The name of the biggest street, the one that is usually referred to as wedding street, is Jiangnan Avenue North (江南大道北), so now you know what to look for in the map! One thing I can tell you, if you come here, there is NO WAY you're leaving without finding a dress you like. There are just so many shops, it's basically impossible not to find a match. There are some cheap dresses that would probably not be up to European / US standards but, believe me, there's also the high quality, stylish, gorgeous ones!
 
To get to Guangzhou from Hong Kong by public transport, you have at least 3 options:
1. Take the MTR intercity through train at Hung Hom, which takes you directly to Guangzhou East Railway Station in a bit less than 2 hours.
2. Take a bus to Guangzhou (around 3 hours). There are several stops in Hong Kong, I have never taken the bus because I think the train is more convenient but the good thing about the bus is once in Guangzhou, there's a stop right next to the wedding street: 海珠广场. From here you just need to cross the bridge and you're already in the wedding street!
3. Take the East Rail Train to Luo Hu (羅湖)  (Shenzhen), and change to the Shenzhen-Guangzhou train there (also departing from Luo Hu station, and arriving at Guangzhou East) (around 80 min.).

Once in Guangzhou take the subway to station 市二宮站 (The 2nd Workers' Cultural Palace) on the blue line, or ask the taxi driver to take you there by mentioning you're going to the wedding street, he'll know :) Once in 市二宮站, take exit D and tadaaaaaaa hundreds of wedding dress shops will appear in front of you. It's not a dream, it's real, the highest density of wedding dress retail shops in the world! Wedding dresses prices range from CNY500 to CNY4000, (50-500€), (US$80-650), or slightly higher for the best boutiques. You can bargain in most of the shops, so don't buy without trying to get a discount first!

[1]

25 comments:

  1. Amazing info. I feel I could totally visit Hong Kong & get the perfect Dress for what I could pay in the US for a DRESS - Thanks for writing this

    ReplyDelete
  2. This makes me want to visit Hong Kong! This is so beautiful!

    I love your blog so much!

    beauteacoffeechic.blogspot.com

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This internet locate is my intake, rattling fantastic design and style and Great on paper content.
    venues in hollywood

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for posting this up! It's extremely helpful!

    My partner recently suggested we go to Guangzhou and I stumbled across your posting the other day. I am on the prowl for a wedding dress for our upcoming wedding, would you be able to suggest a few places that you'd recommend having a look into? I think my fiancee would appriceate it so he's not in the area too long hehe.

    Thank you! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Jacqui! I'd recommend Aolisha and Knightly. Those are my two favorite brands! There's several branches in the area. Good luck!

      Delete
    2. Thank you again! Booked in for the 19th, so excited but very nervous as I want a Jenny Packham design. Fingers crossed it works out - or better yet, I find something better. If you have anymore tips please let me know :)

      Thank you lovely!

      Delete
  5. i found here pretty Wedding Dress Here that is appropriate for Bride , i prefer such a lot rattling color combination Thanks for sharing This diary .That is soooo pretty! i like the sq. cut layers. it's simply attractive. i actually just like the cut of the sleeves too! you've got an entire ton of talent. I all could not upset that a lot of layers. :) Thanks for sharing it with us! it's wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hello, want to know how many hours and how to get to this wedding street from huaweii headquarter in schenzhen.
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  8. omg Im from mexico and Im going to Guangzhou in april for a business trip! and im getting marrried oct 2015!!
    cant wait to find the perfect wedding dress in guangzhou!! :)
    thanks for the post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. omg Im from mexico and Im going to Guangzhou in april for a business trip! and im getting marrried oct 2015!!
    cant wait to find the perfect wedding dress in guangzhou!! :)
    thanks for the post!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How did your trip to Guangzhou go? Did you find the dress? :)

      Delete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Are we allow to try on the gowns in these shops? Do they provide alterations on the spot since my time there is only half a day? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gloria, yes you can try the dresses! The alterations take some days though. I don't know whether you could speed up the process with a tip :D

      Delete
    2. Hi Xenia,

      The shops that you recommended earlier i.e Aolisha and Knightly, do they have a wide variety of mermaid design with embellishments such as crystals kind of wedding and evening gown to choose from?

      How much should we slash from the price tag? (A rough percent such as 60%?)

      What's is the operating hours for these shops?

      Is it safe and convenient to request the store to have the gown sent over to Singapore by courier?

      As I'm concern about bringing the gown back while on board the flight as I don't know how I should minimize damage and possible lost while on board the flight.

      Should I hand carry them and put it inside the flight compartment above the passenger seat or check in with my other luggage?

      Any advice on this matter will be deeply appreciated.

      Many thanks! :)

      Delete
  13. Hi, We are looking at evening gowns.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Olivia,

    I'm heading to Wedding Street tomorrow and was wondering how much you can bargain at the nicer stores such as Knightly. I read on some other blogs you should only pay 50-60% of tag price but wondering if that applies for the nicer stores. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Olivia,
    Great tip on the blog..love your stories! I had read in other blog posts that sizes in Guangzhou is quite small. Is that true? I'm probably a size 10 - 12 AUD..would they sell dresses that size? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Olivia! This post is great! Just wanted to check though if you know.. Do these stores accept only cash or do they accept credit cards too? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Selena, I'm not sure, I even forgot how we paid for it! I'd say they do take credit cards...

      Delete
  18. Hi,
    I am going to Guangzhou to buy my wedding stuff. I was wondering if you know if they sell any nice wedding decorations, like guest books, silk flowers, table clothes, cake toppers, cake stands, centres pieces, party favors, etc.
    I am only there for 2 days so I need to get to where I need to be. Any information helps. Thank you so much!!
    Jane

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! I truly appreciate them!

xx Olivia